Having healthy and glowing skin is everyone’s desire. And why not? Since it gives us confidence and most importantly, makes us feel good about ourselves. The external factors or products may bring a glow on our skin but it’s just a temporary fit as eternally glowing skin comes from inside. Yes it is the healthy body from inside that glows the most from outside.
There are certain nutrients which are needed specifically by our body for skin recovery and renewal. To revive the skin and bring back the glow, the body needs antioxidants like Glutathione. Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant found in every cell in the body and is made up of three types of molecules known as amino acids.
Using Glutathione for skin helps in reducing Melanin activity, which leads to darker skin and gives back the skin its radiance and an even tone. Glutathione converts the dark eumelanin to light golden coloured pheomelanin resulting in a lighter and glowing skin tone. Use of glutathione for skin whitening might be one aspect but Glutathione does much more than this. Let’s find out more about Glutathione’s role in skin’s health.
Glutathione benefits for skin
- Glutathione acts as a detox agent which helps with the treatment of acne, pigmentation and several other skin disorders and also detoxifies chemicals, including which our body creates naturally, as well as pollutants and drugs.
- Glutathione helps in combating oxidative stress that occurs when there’s an imbalance between the production of free radicals and the body’s ability to fight them off. Glutathione helps reduce the impact of oxidative stress.
- Glutathione helps in blocking the Tyrosinase activity and the formation of eumelanin pigment responsible for the dark spots appearance on the skin.
- It provides luminosity and clarity to the skin. It also provides a radiant and glowing effect.
- Glutathione also helps reduce blemishes, sun spots and acne scars.
Glutathione may decline in our body due to aging, stress, free radical damage and toxin exposure. Hence, to bring it back to the optimum levels, one needs to supplement it or get it naturally through diet. Glutathione is produced naturally by your body. Due to several factors, glutathione level may become depleted, including poor diet, chronic disease, infection and constant stress. Maintaining adequate levels of this antioxidant is crucial and one can increase the levels by eating right.
How to get Glutathione naturally?
- Include Sulfur-Rich Food in your diet such as beef, fish, poultry, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, onion, garlic and mustard greens.
- Add Vitamin C to your diet as it plays a vital role in maintaining glutathione levels in the body and is found in a variety of fruits like strawberries, citrus fruits, papayas, kiwis and bell peppers.
- Spinach, avocados, asparagus and okra are some of the richest dietary sources which are naturally rich in Glutathione.
How much glutathione to take for skin whitening
Glutathione is the mother of all antioxidants to give your skin the youthfulness and radiance it deserves! However, it should be consumed responsibly whether in the form of natural or supplementation. The maximum amount of glutathione that can be consumed per day should not exceed 500 mg.
Indulge in right supplementation through oral consumption of B6, Vitamin B12, sulfur, selenium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, N-acetyl-cysteine, alpha-lipoic acid, folate and silymarin that also helps boosting glutathione naturally.